Say, “Hello world” with SKYPE, see where free can take you!
Posted January 27, 2010on:
Tired of the lack of visuals experienced with traditional caller-to-caller communication? Want to shrink the cost of your long distance phone bills and stay connected with friends and family abroad and at home for less? With SKYPE technology all of this becomes possible. SKYPE is a software application that enables the world’s conversations by allowing its users to make voice calls over the Internet. Calls to other SKYPE users, as well as to some free-of-charge numbers in a few countries, can be made for free. SKYPE also supports calls to other landlines, mobile phones, and non-SKYPE users for a small fee through pay-as-you go or subscription. Other features of SKYPE include video conferencing, IM, SMS, file sharing, and SKYPE on your mobile phone.
SKYPE uses VoIP technology and operates on a peer-to-peer model as opposed to the more common client-server model making it unique. The SKYPE user directory is entirely decentralized and distributed widely among the network allowing it to accommodate large sizes of users as opposed to a costly centralized model. SKYPE is a secure communication, encryption cannot be disabled and is invisible to the user. SKYPE reportedly uses widely trusted encryption techniques to disguise conversations and allows users to use the service without any proof of identity.
Company Profile and Unique Attributes
- SKYPE was founded in 2003 and based in Luxembourg with offices in Europe, US and Asia
- Owned by an investor group led by Silver Lake and which includes eBay Inc., Joltid Limited and SKYPE founders Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis
- CEO is Josh Silverman
- SKYPE has become the leading global Internet communications company
- In the third quarter of 2009 SKYPE users made 27.7 billion minutes of SKYPE to SKYPE calls and over one-third of these were video calls
- At peak times, SKYPE has up to 20 million people online
- SKYPE is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week worldwide and is supported by a number of operating systems and mobile devices
- SKYPE allows users to keep family and friends together no matter the distance
- SKYPE has a service specifically tailored for business which permits businesses to connect with colleagues faster and more efficiently by saving them time and money giving them a competitive advantage
- Some competitors include phone.com , fring, Yeigo and Userplane
With its rapidly increasing users, great branding recognition, and a variety of frequently updated unique personalized features built into one service, I believe SKYPE is a social media application that is here to stay and one that will only continue to grow in the future.
For a more critical review on SKYPE check out my partner Christiaan’s blog
Check out my elevator pitch for SKYPE in the video below!